2010/09/30

sometimes you gotta say "uncle"...

Today, being September 30th 2010, my younger brother had his first child. A baby girl, 8 pounds and 14 ounces. Riley Lauren McNall. (I may not be right about the spelling, but ... yeah.) We were at the hospital waiting for what seemed like forever. I think we arrived in the waiting room around 10:30 or 11 am and the baby didn't join us until just about 7:30 pm.

It was really sort of surreal. I think I've watched a ton of baby's born on reality TV and sit coms and whatever, so the whole thing felt like a bad TV show. Complete with complex family drama, mixed emotions, and a bit of a scare. Riley entered the world and my sister in law developed a fever during the labor. They took the baby to the Intensive Care area right away.

This was especially emotional because back when my older brother, Ryan, was born, it was with a congenital heart condition and my parents experienced having their baby rushed away right after birth. My sister in law was emotional and for the next few days little Riley will remain in intensive care for observation.

My younger brother, the proud father, was amazing. I'm so proud of him and I am really excited for the future and for his little girl to grow up and experience the love that was beaming out of a smile I don't think I've ever seen him wear before.

This is a photo of the proud Pop and his new baby girl. Pretty Awesome.


This is me and Riley. I didn't really know what to do. I was so scared of hurting the baby or something. I didn't wanna get too close! Ross insisted I get a photo. It was cute and awkward and a moment I will probably never forget.



I know this probably isn't exactly what the posts in my blog are supposed to be about, but hey. I'm an uncle for the first time. What's a guy to do?

1 comment:

  1. yay uncle rog! she looks like her mommy in that picture with you...and she also looks like she's smiling! she already likes you! :) congrats! my niece changed my life. babies are some of the greatest teachers, if we allow them to be.

    ReplyDelete