2010/09/29

hiding in my room

i am not sure how long this poetry idea will last. i have been writing for most of my life, but there's been a long dry spell. i am not sure if it's stress induced, or inspired by the Ginsberg film, or what the cause is, but i am writing again. i woke up today with a bit of sickness that has lingered a week or so now, and a long with that, the sense i wanted to write...

sometimes i write things that are the exact opposite of how i actually feel. sometimes i write things that are dramatic exaggerations of my emotional state. like i'm tired and just waking up, is somehow turned into...
whatever this emotion is...

----------------------------------------------------------------------


hiding in my room

behind my smile is hollow empty sadness
but no one will ever know
there’s pain inside my joking words
that my hazel eyes will never show

i cry alone in secret
with no tears across my cheek
i fear alone in darkness
with no words that I can speak

loneliness piles around me like a sandy beach
happiness is on a shelf that’s just out of
my reach

no step stool
no ladder
no helping hand

nothing

when outside i feel warm as the sun
holding hands with freedom
in a downhill reckless run

all the while inside me
my emotions like an open drain
all these people all around me
and i am empty lonely pain

the night air cools the silence
safe darkness is my groom
at least its familiar
this hiding in my room

2 comments:

  1. i like it. i'm not sure why, but it reminded me of how some days, when i first wake up in my apartment, for a couple seconds my brain tricks me into feeling like i'm in the room i grew up in, in Daly City...such a strange, comfortable, familiar, safe feeling...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice poem Roger...It speaks volumes.The title is compelling as well.It leaves the reader wanting to hear more poems throughout the semester!

    ReplyDelete